Future of multi media in libraries
It will be interesting to see how Amazon's DVD rental scheme fairs. By stating that they have no 'due dates' or late fees they are clearly aiming to compete with public libraries, and have access to some of the more obscure titles in addition to new releases (unlike what Blockbuster typically offers, and beyond what libraries can realistically stock). If they continue to price the service as they are, and extend this to CD's as well, we may need to rethink as the advantages of holding non-pop will no longer be there (and we will be considered expensive at our current rental and overdue charge levels). In the position they are in as retailers with their bulk buying capabilities they may also be better placed to negotiate with the industry on the holdback (for themselves only) putting us at further disadvantage.

Emily
-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Howe, Christine
Sent: 11 July 2006 16:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Future of multi media in libraries

I was wondering whether the streaming/downloading service is subject to the same 3 month holdback restriction we are under with regard to CDs. I think in these days of very cheap online CD purchases we suffer from not being able to offer titles as 'new'. I feel the future may be with 'non-pop', we need to emphasise that we have got strong collections of Jazz, Classical, World music etc. As an added point to the debate about DVDs I think we have to be very careful about hire charges. However reasonable we think we are I think the general perception of libraries as a 'free' service means the public are very aware and cynical about prices charged for media loans.

Matt Browne, AV librarian
Cumbria Libraries 01228 607314

Christine Howe
Culture Information Performance and Monitoring Officer
Library Services
Arroyo Block
The Castle
Carlisle
Cumbria
CA3 8UR
Tel:  01228 607302
Fax: 01228 607299
Email:  [log in to unmask]

This INBOUND e-mail has been scanned for viruses via the Messagelabs service.

If you have any queries regarding e-mail or attachments please contact the
IT Helpdesk, Tel. Ext 368 or 01572 758 368, Fax: 01572 758 316,
e-mail [log in to unmask]
This e-mail contains confidential information (which may also be legally
privileged) and is intended solely for the use of the intended named recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient you may not disclose, copy, distribute
or retain any part of this message or its attachments. If youhave received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply
facility in your e-mail software. All copies of the message received in error
should be destroyed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
original author. This email message has been scanned for viruses, and declared
to be virus free at the point of exit from Cumbria County Council's network.

Community Portal:
http://www.rutnet.co.uk A guide to Rutland for residents, visitors and business
Customer Service Centre:
01572 722 577
Council Website:
http://www.rutland.gov.uk

This OUTBOUND e-mail has been scanned for viruses via the MessageLabs service.

The e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential, may be legally privileged and are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s).

The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Rutland County Council DC.