You make good points., and I am a firm believer in getting involved.
However we cant all be involved all the time, and some, like myself have
been in involved in some ways at different times and stages of my
professional life. This changes depending on the stage you are at in
your career and family life.

One of the ways of course people want to be involved is via a quick and
simple email list, and the arguments you heard at council maybe should
have been aired via the list we are currently debating.

I have a fear (may be paranoia), that Cilip do not like any public boat
rocking. I am sure, even though I am currently supporting Cilip by
membership of one of its committees, that I am branded a trouble maker,
along with one or two others. Why? Well probably because I speak out.

I have been in and worked for and supported this professional and Cilip
for over 40 years. I have been on Council, been Chair of Enterprise
Board, Chair of the National Forum for Bibliographic Services, a
scrutineer, a member of 4 interest groups (and still am), participated
in many many activities and spoken on and about the profession on
numerous occasions., I have written extensively and have no wish to see
our professional body fail. But I am not happy with some of the
perceptions and impressions I have been getting in recent years which
appear to be of a closed shop, of a lack of empathy with members, with
restrictions on what others have called 'free speech'. Of course we
should not bring our professional body into disrepute, but too much
sensitivity of what people think and say, and too little exposure and
understanding of members could have dire consequences.

The list does no harm. I have 'met' very interesting members of the
profession via their emails, and picked up interesting thoughts and
ideas.

Council also should consider who and why they are members and what their
role is. This last email discussion has elicited more comment from
council members than I can ever recall. Council needs to appeal to as
wide an audience as possible and to attract new young blood. As I recall
it was a Council member whom alerted the list that it was under the
axe., other wise what would we have known? No one, as far as I have read
and understood, blame council members, or think little of Cilip staff. I
know many Cilip staff (and some of those made redundant), and know the
majority are doing very good jobs, are committed and anxious to see the
organisation succeed., but also the recent redundancies etc cannot have
been good for staff?

Any profession is dependant upon new young blood, minds and hearts. We
have had a membership 'crisis' for sometime, we need to address it., a
more open and transparent engagement of ALL members, in an easy and
accessible way, would help.

I may be a trouble maker in some peoples eyes, but I am at least
contributing, and shall continue to do so, unless prevented.