Stephen and Tony

I am glad you added the bit in brackets Stephen as you should as a national councillor communicate with all your constituents, not just the ones who voted (an you wont know who they are any way).

What people want, I would think, is timely information., issues and proposals, before, during and after the event, and no spin on them.Bright and breezy is not relevant, factual and honest is better. Not loads of text but key points and why.

From all the postings we have had re the list I think people are fed up of the apparent closed shop that Cilip appears to have become.

We need members, we need to keep them, engage with them, retain them., we need people to compete for places on Council so that it is vibrant and has new faces and young faces and faces of all types and backgrounds., and above all openness.

People used to complain to me years ago about 'what was the point of the LA'?., my answer was always get involved and make it happen, I still feel the same, as apathy only adds to the sense of insider dealings, lack of transparency etc We need honest open minded clear thinking and courage to go against the crowd if you believe in the cause.

so if your communications help this, fine

I notice the announcement of the 10 best young librarians., lets see them on the list, competing for council and given a platform.

From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Cook
Sent: 14 July 2006 13:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Observations on the Lis-Cilip decision

As a National Councillor I feel that there should be some mechanism in place to let the people who voted for me know (and those that didn't) what went on at Council.

The pages in this weeks Gazette and Update have been welcome as they have alerted members to the important issues being discussed at Council but I also think it's important that a representative from the group of National Councillors has an opportunity to respond and maybe proliferate opinions on the issues raised. There are opportunities for Branch and Group Councillors to feedback via their committees but what about the rest of the membership?

Councillor response column would allow an opinion to be given on the statements released by CILIP regarding Council business.

Stephen Cook