________________________________

From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mcsean, Tony (ELS)
Sent: 13 July 2006 10:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Observations on the Lis-Cilip decision

I'm speaking from my vantage point as chair of Cilip council  not in any
way officially on behalf of Cilip (or anyone else).

The facts:
Cilip council debated this issue at length and in detail.  Before the
meeting I worked closely with Chris Armstrong to ensure that he would
have the fullest possible opportunity to present his case - as I would
with any member of Council who had a difficult and controversial issue
to present (ie not just people like Chris whose work on Council I admire
immensely).  The arguments for both sides were presented fully and
anyone who wished to speak on this issue was able to do so.  At the end
of the debate, council voted decisively though not overwhelmingly to
close lis-cilip at the point at which the replacement Community of
Practice was functioning at such a level of activity as to constitute a
replacement.

Democracy:
There has been a lot of  talk on the list about democracy, most of which
has been in my opinion tosh.  Cilip is not a pub quiz team, it's a
multi-million pound charity founded on our royal charter.  The vote in
council is democracy, and democracy includes putting up and going along
with properly-constituted decisions which we happen not to like.
Shouting loudly on lists is satisfying, necessarym, helpful - all sorts
of things but democrcy it ain't.  I topped the poll at the last national
councillor elections with barely 10% of the electorate voting for me, so
it's certainly flawed democracy.  At Chris A's instigation we now have a
governance review under way; early straws in the wind indicate that it
will go through Cilip's structures like a ninja in a bad kung fu film so
this at least might be improved radically and quickly.

Council having voted after full and proper debate, this is a done deal.
I for one would be reluctant to see any matter return to council's
agenda simply because some reople really, really didn't like the
decision first time round.

Criticism:
I feel I should lay this to rest.It's been said that councillors who
voted to close the list don't like criticism, so they close the list
that criticises them.  I think this is untrue and unfair.  For one
thing, I'd be surprised if  a third of those who voted against lis-cilip
were members.  It never came up as an issue during the debate, either
explicitly or in coded references to "pulling together in this time of
crisis ect ect".  I would personally prefer it if the debate didn't
encompass name-calling, but hey I like a hearty exchange of views as
much as the next mouthy little wicket-keeper.

Priorities:
Given the problems crowding in on Cilip and our profession generally
this mus barely register on the radar, particularly when it can be
solved by 20 minutes' decisive action (see below).  To give a modest
selection:

1.  Cilip is in the financial mire.  We're not in the bankruptcy court
yet but we are, metaphorically listening to the debt-dodging adverts on
daytime television.  We have a long period of austerity and
uncomfortable decisions ahead of us (and thank goodness we have a
treasurer with abilities to match his problems).

2.  Cilip membership is in a decline which may be inexorable and is
certainly proving hard to reverse.

3.  A huge chunk of Cilip income comes from classified recruitment
advertising, which to say the least has a cloudy future

4.  Libraries of all types are facing anti-professional attitudes and
serious questions about staffing levels in a networked world.  STM and
many other research libraries are teetering on the edge of a period of
fundamental change, and I'm sure the same thing is true of types of
libraries I'm less familiar with.

5.  Many of our traditional professional skills have been and are being
overtaken by IT based solutions - both end-user solutions which by-pass
the professional altogether and efficiency gainers within library
processes.

In this environment, we don't want to be sitting around arguing which
song we want the orchestra to play next as the rising water shorts out
the chandeliers.

Cilip name:
Legal considerations aside, it would simply be daft and
credibility-puncturing to set up a replacement list which used the Cilip
name or any "clever" little variation on it.  If it's worth doing it
stands by itself and there's been enough divisiveness already.  How
about what we might call the Zindane argument - not degrading oneself
for the joy of a momentary sneer?
Phasing out

Solution:
One of those who feels strongly - get off yer bum, set up a list called
lis-prof or whatever and post the joining instructions to lis-cilip.
Then we can all migrate away and carry on as before.  If you can't find
someone for whom JISC will set up the list, there are hundreds and
hundreds of commercial list providers (eg  www.listserve.com who will do
it for not much money.

Merton's Law
Charles Oppenheim points out that according to Merton's Law one would
expect there to be about 150 active members of CILIP.  In fact, and
excluding lis-cilip membership, the actual figure is between two and
three thousand depending on how you define "active" - which is prety
phenomenal and gives hope for the future.

CONCLUSION
Accept that the fait really is accompli, move on, sort out an
alternative, let me know how to sign up when you have.  And start
discussion real issues not froth.

My opinion on the Lis-Cilip Question:
(Given last because it's not germane to the points I want to make but I
don't want to set any more hares running - I have a day job.)
I don't care much either way but after hearing the argument and seeing
the commotion I think things should have been left alone because the
benefits of fiddling not match the costs of the fall-out.

After 16 years at one of the world's most successful member
organisations my much-repeated opinion is (a) membership organisations
are there to provide services to their members , and (b) people who are
not prepared to join their professional association and participate in
some small way cannot be considered fully professional and do a
disservice to the profession on whose periphery they hover.  This is
strongly worded, but it's how I feel and when I ran a library it was
part of recruitment and staff appraisal arrangements.  I am also enough
of a grumpy old man to KNOW in my bones that something called a
"Community of Practice" is a load of b*ll*cks and no good to man nor
beast.

So, I think that something called lis-cilip should be member-only.
However, there is clearly a need for somewhere for the wider LIS
diaspora to go when they feel the need for a good rant and there
probably is space for an open, unmoderated list for this purpose.  I'd
probably even sign up.

But in the end, having seen the vociferous nature of the opposition, I
think that pushing on with the lis-cilip closure has been a
misjudgement.  The actual numbers of Cilip members who care are
obviously miniscule, but as I've said before the issue is only a
sideshow.  The real concerns, the real democracy and the real
opportunity to (in the words of the  wonderful Betty Carter song) DO
SOMETHING - these lie elsewhere and on the whole require a bit of work.

Tony

Tony McSean
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier