For those of you who have not got Jill's posting of May 4th, here it is.

________________________________

From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jill Martin
Sent: 04 May 2006 18:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LIS-CILIP

Jill Martin
Director Knowledge & Information
CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
7 Ridgmount St, London, WC1E 7AE
www.cilip.org.uk
Tel: 020 7255 0500  Fax: 020 7255 0501
Direct line: 020 7255 0642
Email:[log in to unmask]

Delighted to see from the flurry of postings today that you all value
professional networking opportunities so highly. What is currently being
considered is that later this year when the CILIP communities of
practice are launched we would take steps to phase out LIS-CILIP because
we would have replaced it with something better. That something is two
discussion fora on the CILIP website where members can discuss and share
information on two very broad areas "their career" and "their
professional practice". The principal driver behind this is a desire to
increase the value of what we can offer to CILIP personal members. It is
not a cost saving exercise and certainly not an attempt to stifle free
speech. LIS-CILIP has two main disadvantages; it is open to anybody (so
not a true membership benefit) and it is not moderated (so debate cannot
be stimulated, threaded or fostered). As you are all aware there a
number of other such lists in existence, but we want to provide an
opportunity for our members to discuss things of unique interest to
them, including the management of their professional body. It will be
necessary to register on the website to do this, but increasingly this
is how CILIP services will be delivered anyway.

CILIP wants to be as open as possible with its members so it seems
timely to remind list users who come into this category that you
communicate with Ridgmount St in a number of ways. These include a
"first point of contact" enquiry service at [log in to unmask] or 020
7255 0620. The individual contact details of all CILIP staff are
published on the website and elsewhere, and there will shortly be a
monthly electronic news bulletin of major CILIP news stories to add to
the hard copy and electronic publication, including an RSS feed, which
already exist. LIS-CILIP as an open discussion list is not the best way
for members to communicate with staff at Ridgmount St.