http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/statementspols/statementsif/librarybillrights
.htm

http://www.ala.org/

One might consider joining a north american or european association - no
need to be parochially british and belong only to CILIP ...

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=Membership&Template=/CustomSourc
e/Membership/Index.cfm

"Membership in the American Library Association (ALA) is available to
individuals in the United States and abroad who are involved in
librarianship or library work; those who are not in library work but
wish to support the Association..."

http://www.libraryassociation.ie/

"The Library Association of Ireland (LAI), founded in 1928, is the
professional body representing libraries and those engaged in
librarianship and information management in Ireland. Objectives include
the promotion of the professional interests of its members, and the
promotion and development of high standards of librarianship in
Ireland."

http://www.libraryassociation.ie/membership/index.htm#assoc

http://www.libraryassociation.ie/membership/index.htm

LAI "personal membership is open to persons employed in the profession
of librarianship (including library assistants) while personal
membership is open to those with an interest in the work, progress and
welfare of libraries but who are not employed in the profession. "

adrian, headingley