I'm quite happy to confess that I'm not a member of CILIP, but I do contribute to list discussions on CILIP & on other matters. I do so because I am a qualified librarian, working in a library, and would be a member of a professional body if I thought it benefitted me directly & indirectly - I don't think CILIP does either. I was a member  of the Library Association, but that eventually became mainly because of the 'you're not qualified if you're not Chartered, & you're not chartered if you're not a member of the LA' argument. I think the last straw was when the LA made librarianship a graduate qualification without the possibility of those of us who qualified through the two-year course upgrading (as nurses were able to when nursing was made a graduate qualification). An old argument, I know, & possibly of historical interest only to younger members, but still an important one. In my early years in the profession I was 'active', being a member of the Youth Libraries Group (Chairing the regional committee, if my memory serves me right - a member of it, at least), and a member of the Carnegie & Greenaway award committees.

I feel that I have every right to criticies CILIP, which I feel appears at time to work against individual members' interests, & doesn't seem to have much clout in supporting libraries generally. If I felt it was a more effective organisation I might re-join.  To suggest that CILIP shouldn't be criticised in the presence of non-members is wrong - it ignores the reasons for people choosing not to be members of CILIP, & suggests that they are not interested in professional issues generally, or CILIP issues in particular.

Malcolm Dobson
-----Original Message-----
From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Diana Nutting
Sent: 11 July 2006 09:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Closure of this List

I think it's worth pointing out that there's an element of mis-understanding in David McMenemy's assertion about "postings that have an anti-CILIP agenda and not much else". A criticism of something that is done in the name of CILIP - like attempting to close this list - is not necessarily anti-CILIP. It's wanting CILIP to be better. I hope most people accept that it's possible even for an organisation as close to perfection as CILIP to be better. I believe that this is a wrong decision - and I won't go over again all the arguments. As a member I have a right (and if I want to be self righteous, a duty) to say when I consider a decision to be wrong. I am a huge supporter of CILIP, (as anyone who read my recent article in Update knows). I contribute where I am able, which does not include sitting on committees, for which I have neither time or inclination. And probably not aptitude either.

There is one argument in this debate which has not been addressed. There have been many assertions that there are some people who use this list who not CILIP members and therefore we shouldn't be criticising CILIP in their presence. But I haven't seen any numbers. Has anyone cross checked the subscribers to this list against the CILIP membership list. If not, how do they know?

And one final rant from me. As librarians, surely we know that censorship simply doesn't work - ever.

Diana Nutting