From: Repositories discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jackie Proven
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Handle system public licence

**Apologies for cross-posting**

Dear all

It would be interesting to hear people's views on the effects of the new public licence for the Handle software, described in an D-Lib article at http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july06/07inbrief.html#LANNOM

Do people think that the new licence will increase uptake of the Handle system - either in new applications/services by commercial enterprises, or widening use of DOI?

My understanding (such as it is!) is that the costs for users of DOIs under the International DOI Foundation's Handle licence are for the services provided by Registration Agencies, so the new licence may have little effect on established use. Will we see more 'flavours' of persistent identifiers appear, will it become harder to decide where to get your prefix from?

The TrustDR project is particularly interested in the application of unique identifiers such as DOI for managing rights in digital repositories of Learning Objects. We are exploring the idea of a registry for rights metadata/licences, combined with DOIs at a suitable granularity, that enables objects to associate with rights expressions.

It would be encouraging if developments and adoption of such systems looks likely!

Please note I am posting from a non-technical standpoint, but any thoughts on this topic would be most welcome.

Regards

Jackie

Jackie Proven
Digital Rights Research & Development Assistant TrustDR JISC Project UHI Millennium Institute http://www.uhi.ac.uk/lis/projects/trustdr/