I must agree with Roger on this. I think that an 'associated historic events' record which could be linked to one or more monuments makes more sense than misleading the public into believing that 'Great fire of London' is a monument. Indeed if we look at the Monument in London which commemorates the Great Fire, this would have a record with Monument Type - 'Commemorative Monument' and Associated Historical Event - Great Fire of London.

If the house in pudding lane was still around this too could be linked to the same event.

I think Battlefields are slightly different to fires inasmuch as they are Monument Type - field  before the battle but during it and ever after they become monument type - battlefield. The field itself may not have changed drastically but the event changed our perception of what it is.

With a fire the monument types are buildings beforehand but afterwards may just be a layer of burnt earth or ash or if we're lucky 'Fire-damaged Buildings'. This is a drastic change but fire-damaged buildings don't stay fire-damaged for long as they are either restored to their former glory or demolished so to have a term such as fire-damaged building or burnt deposits, as a monument type, is to my mind wrong.

Burnt deposits are 'evidence' of a fire event not monuments.

I'm rambling now so I think I'll shut up

Phil Carlisle
Data Standards Supervisor
National Monuments Record Centre
Kemble Drive
Swindon
SN2 2GZ
+44 (0)1793 414824

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.