-----Original Message-----
From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of CARLISLE, Phil
Sent: 19 July 2006 10:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Rejoinder - Great Balls of Fire

Dear Neil
I have to disagree. The labels we attach to the monument in a record ie
what we think it is or want to call it, whether house, burial, bridge,
castle or ditch is the 'Interpretation' not the monument itself. The
monument itself is, was and, to my mind, always will be a 'thing'.

If my four year old asked me what we were doing at the weekend and I
said we were going to visit some interpretations he would be slightly
confused, whereas my wife would probably try to slap some sense into me
and tell me to stop talking rubbish.

Conversely If I said we were going to visit something (ie some 'thing')
Fred would more than likely be excited and ask what we were going to
visit, the answer to which, given his current fascination, would
inevitably be a castle!

I think the recent email traffic on this discussion list has also shown
that the use of the term 'Event' in the archaeological sense is
restrictive.

I would rather see types of event - historical events, activities (ie
archaeological investigations etc.).

In fact in the NMR AMIE database 'Activities' is the name of the table
in the database used to record 'Events' (in the investigative sense).

The OED (bless it!) gives the primary definition of an event as
'Something that happens; an occurrence, an incident.'

In this respect both Schliemann's excavations and the Great Fire are
events. And I would also argue that Schliemann's excavation is also an
historical event!

What do we think the general public would understand by Events in the
Monument - Event - Archive model? I would argue that they would expect
to see historical events rather than investigations carried out on a
site.

As more and more information from HERs and the NMR is made available
over online we have to ensure that it's public-friendly and as such we
have to speak in a language that they understand otherwise we'll be
constantly pointing users to our FAQ or glossary pages to explain the
jargon.

Also if, as you say Neil, monuments are not things but merely
interpretations then why so we persist in talking about the Monument -
Event - Archive model and not the Interpretation - Event - Archive
model?

As for Themes we use this in 'Viewfinder' to group photographs which
depict similar things eg. Childhood, Crime and Punishment, Bomb Damage,
People (active) and People (posed).

So again let the gods of confusion reign!

Phil

Phil Carlisle
Data Standards Supervisor
National Monuments Record Centre
Kemble Drive
Swindon
SN2 2GZ
+44 (0)1793 414824

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received
the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your
system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else
or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English
Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.