...and I've just seen in Marina and Helen's new book a call for some research into learning styles in an ESOL context: see Spiegel and Sunderland, Teaching Basic Literacy to ESOL learners, p.105

Mary

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum on behalf of Beata Barker
Sent: Tue 18/07/2006 08:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: MA

I think the following would be of interest:

- progression for learners from pre Entry to Entry 1 in ESOL, including
learners with no literacy skills in their 1st language; factors impeding
and accerating learning for such learners; realistic time needed to
progress throughtout the levels

- effective teaching & learning strategies for ESOL dyslexic learners,
including learners with limited English where conducting initial
assessment proves challenging

- my personal interest: student perception of their learning & our
teaching; anything on using learners' views on what is good practice in
ESOL teaching and learning; including comments on choice of
resources/materials/ICT, e.g.  textbooks versus worksheets!

regards
Beata Barker

>>> Judith Boardman <[log in to unmask]> 17/07/06 10:22

Hello, I'm seeking ideas/opinions.

I am hoping to complete my MA dissertation next year. I will be putting
together my proposal in the autumn (and hope it will be accepted!) and
although I have lots of ideas for what my dissertation could be about, I
would welcome ideas from other people involved in ESOL at the moment as
I want the research and work I do to be of real value and in an area
that would be useful to other people.

When I completed my Post Grad Diploma a couple of years ago I was
acutely aware of the huge gaps in ESOL research in this country. There
seemed to be very little and even though some research has been done in
the intervening two years, I know there are still areas that have not
been investigated.

I would welcome ideas, suggestions and thoughts from you before putting
my own ideas into the public arena.

My experience is mainly working with adult women in a community
setting. Thanks.

Judith Boardman

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee
only. It may  contain confidential or sensitive
information.  The contents are not to be disclosed
to anyone other than the addressee.  Unauthorised
recipients are requested to preserve this
confidentiality and to advise us of any errors in
transmission.  Any views expressed in this message
are solely the views of the individual and do not
represent the views of the College.  Nothing in this
message should be construed as creating a contract.

Hull College owns the email infrasturcture, including the contents.

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]