The ideas come from

  Lamb, S. 1996. The Trouble With Blame: victims, perpetrators and
responsibility
Harvard University Press

She isn't a writer in the disability field, but has had some really
interesting things to say about the (lack of) value of fault and
blame in relation to theorising the relative positions of victims and
perpetrators in the area of sexual abuse. She maintains that there is
no transcendent position from which critical comments  can be made,
and goes on from there to tease out how victim and perpetrator
positions migtht be re-theorised from this starting point.

  I got into this line of thinking partly through hearing a comment
made by a very well respected disability academic, whose work I
really admire, in NZ a couple of years ago. One of her comments in
response to the tabling of a report outlining evidence of widespread
abuse in intellectual disability day service settings was "of course,
we need to stamp out abuse".  At the time, I felt very uncomfortable
about this use of words and equally as uncomfortable with the thought
I then had  - that such a phrase might be as much a contributing
factor to the problem as it might signal that such practices needed
to be eliminated!

I'm also still thinking about how we might more gainfully
conceptualise the use and abuse of the 'ain't it awful' stories we
can tell  .... . But that is a much more difficult area to try and
re-theorise without either becoming part of the problem oneself, or
receiving much flack. I really liked Lillith's idea of unpaid
advocacy.

and re useful journals, I go more for useful articles across various
academic disciplines for workable ideas, but have found Disability
Studies Quarterly and Disability and Society very useful on occasions
to name a couple.

Cheers Carol

Lamb, S.19

Lamb, S.1996. The Trouble with

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: