Dear Deborah

I'm posting this on behalf of Phyl Jones at Age Concern Tower Hamlets - hope this is helpful

For the attention of Deborah CHINN

Michele Lee of Age Concern England has forwarded your email about your research in Tower Hamlets. I'd suggest you contact Mary Akuffo of TH PCT Public Health Department ([log in to unmask]). She convenes the Older People's Workstream of the Mental health Promotion Steering Group but can obviously take your issue back to the Steering Group. They will have representatives from a wide range of statutory and voluntary bodies including BME organisations. We have recently pioneered a very successful couple of projects to empower the Bangladeshi Community to reach their people in an appropriate manner.

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deborah Chinn
Sent: 04 July 2006 22:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] what do people want?

Dear All

We (some PCT psychologists) have got some funding to find out from people in Tower Hamlets in the East End of London what they think are the important things that impact on their health and wellbeing, and conversely, what might get in the way of good physical and mental health.  The starting point for this study were worries from primary health staff, mainly health visitors and district nurses, that there were quite a few people who didn't find seem to find health professionals' current approaches or interventions very helpful.  We are going to have to think carefully about issues of race/culture in the design and focus of the study, as Tower Hamlets is a very ethnically diverse borough with 30% of the population identified as Bangladeshi.

Does anyone know of any similar work, or maybe someone has conducted a similar study?  Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Deborah Chinn

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System for Age Concern England.
___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Age Concern is the UK's largest organisation working for and with older people. In England, we are a federation of over 400 charities working together to promote the well-being of all older people. Find out about the information, services and products we provide by visiting our website:
www.ageconcern.org.uk

__