Many thanks for this and other replies I've had on this from both lists. I really like the "social infrastructure" aspect, making use of identifiers more than a technical issue.

Regards
Jackie

Jackie Proven
Digital Rights Research & Development Assistant
TrustDR JISC Project
UHI Millennium Institute
http://www.uhi.ac.uk/lis/projects/trustdr/

Room 145
Perth College
Crieff Road
Perth PH1 2NX

Tel. 01738 877339
www.uhi.ac.uk

>>> Norman Paskin <[log in to unmask]> 31/07/2006 07:58 >>>
Re: "My understanding (such as it is!) is that the costs for users of DOIs
under the International DOI Foundation's Handle licence are for the
services provided by Registration Agencies"

Speaking for the International DOI Foundation: Yes, that's correct.  One of
the key features of the DOI System is that it is a co-funded social
infrastructure to ensure consistency and quality; it is a handle
implementation, but with additional features.   The IDF structure ensures a
fair distribution of funding for the required technical and social
infrastructure needed for the system.  As with other identifiers such as
ISBN, ISSN, etc, the only persons permitted to register DOIR identifiers are
Registration Agencies that have been authorized by IDF, or persons acting
under the authority of Registration Agencies (the roles of Registration
Agencies are described in our DOI Handbook
(<http://www.doi.org/handbook_2000/registration_agencies.html> ).  We place
a great deal of importance on this social infrastructure and want to ensure
that any assigned identifiers are within it.

Re: " Do people think that the new licence will increase uptake of the
Handle system - either in new applications/services by commercial
enterprises, or widening use of DOI?"  We hope it will do both. As a major
user of the Handle System, we are part of the advisory group which considers
the further development of the Handle System and which agreed this new
public licensing scheme.

Dr. Norman Paskin
Tel: (+44) 1865 559070
Mobile: (+44) 7710 327569