Interesting.

First, thanks to all who have contributed sources so far. I truly appreciate your effort.

Jacqueline, I think the issue is the Christianization of sources around the time of Snorri Sturluson and forward, and the dirth of pre-Christian sources. It's the same problem I had with primary Aztec sources as well.

Caelum

jacqueline simpson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Rudolf Simek's 'Dictionary of Northern Mythology'
(1984 German edition, 1993 Eng transl) mentione a book
by G.W.Weber 'Wyrd' (Bad Homburg, 1969). He writes on
p. 374: "Weber has been able to show that the
expression 'wyrd' (which glosses Latin 'fortuna') is
unlikely tohand down heathen-Germanic thought, but
rather a medieval view of the world based on late
Classical-Christian beliefs, and therefore ought not
to be brought as evidence for a belief in fatalism
among Germanic peoples."

Of course others may have contradicted Weber since.

Jacqueline Simpson

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html