-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of SMITH, Paula
Sent: 21 June 2006 12:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Network drive restrictions with existing EDRM system in place

Cathey

This is possible but will depend upon the IT structure you have - who will
manage the creation of network folders - for instance if a team gets
involved in a new project they will want to create a new folder - do they
have to ask RM staff, IT staff, RM satellite officer etc - and do you have
the capacity to do this.

You also run the risk of people creating/saving their information in folders
on their personal drive or My documents folder.

I previously worked for a fire service whose central IT section created all
folders and file structures for staff - the user could not create any
folders at all - this was without an EDRMS in place and it worked - because
everyone knew who to ask and the IT department could cope with the requests.
It allowed a degree of control and made the management of the file structure
easier because the user couldn't go near it!

If you are in a Windows environment you can set permissions for
people/groups of people so that they can be stopped from creating folders
within folders but you will need to talk to the IT department about
implementing that - be prepared for some argument from IT and from users
alike.  Someone will have to have responsibility for creating folders and
you may find a great deal of argument if the users are involved in cross
service working for example and need to access/store/create folders on
multiple drives.

I do know of authorities who have turned off all other storage areas and
forced people into saving into the EDRMS - obviously this will not help
Mark, but in the majority of cases it is the obvious answer - why make the
investment if you also give staff a get out clause.

Paula