I attended the first of three launches for Rubicon Press last Friday, a
neat little anthology with contributions from Canada, England, & the
United States. The editor of the press has put together a statement of
purpose, which I want to pass on to poetryetc.

One of the neatest things about the launch here was a set of  t-shirts
with one of my poems on it, which she insisted I sign. In England, I
believe there will be a t-shirt with a poem by Denise Riley. (Does a
t-shirt count as a broadside?) The first chapbook looks good, & has
poems by Sheila E Murphy among a wide range of other poets. I look with
some awe upon the energy and commitment of the young publishers, & wish
them all the best.

Doug

Rubicon Press
Simply Extraordinary

About the Press
Rubicon Press publishes chapbooks and broadsides of extraordinary
poetry from authors in Canada and around the world. We’re looking for
work that resonates; poetry that is more than just excellence of
technique and use of multiple forms. We seek poetry that moves,
inspires and affects.

Our Work
We produce beautiful little chapbooks available in either unsigned or
signed and numbered limited editions, working with our poets during
printing to give their books the look and feel of the collection they
had in mind during the writing process.

Who We Are
Jenna Butler is Rubicon Press’s Founding Editor. An educator and poet,
she makes her home in Edmonton, Alberta. Her work has been widely
published in literary magazines and journals, and she has edited eight
collections of poetry in Canada and England. Recent anthology credits
include Otherwheres (Pen & Inc. Press), String to Bow (Leaf Press) and
The Moosehead Anthology X: Future Welcome (DC Books). She is currently
working toward a PhD in Creative and Critical Writing from the
University of East Anglia, UK.

Yvonne Blomer is Rubicon Press’s Assistant Editor. Her poetry has won
awards and been published internationally. Most recently she was a
finalist in the CBC Literary Awards and in the Malahat Review's Long
Poem Prize. Her work has appeared in the journals The Rialto, The
Antigonish Review, and in In Fine Form: An Anthology of Canadian Form
Poetry.  She recently completed her MA at the University of East Anglia
and returned to Canada.  Her first book, a broken mirror, fallen leaf
will come out in the spring of 2006.

Chapbooks
To order any of  Rubicon’s chapbooks (see www.rubiconpress.org), please
send a cheque for the requisite amount made out to Rubicon Press at the
address at the bottom of this page. All prices include shipping costs.
Include your return address for prompt reply. Those ordering from
outside Canada, please send International Money Orders.

Submissions
We’re interested in poems that work together cohesively in a small
series, rather than poems taken from a longer manuscript. If you
believe your work fits with our mandate, we’d love to hear from you!
Please refrain from sending full manuscripts by e-mail; with the advent
of viruses and spamming, we are justifiably wary receiving complete
manuscripts in attachment form. Instead, send your full collections to
us via snail mail at the address at the bottom of the page.

Include the following in your submission package:

•	A cover letter that includes your name, complete address, phone
number and e-mail address
•	No more than thirty pages of poetry (does not include title page)
•	A brief bio stating who you are and your writing/publishing history
•	A self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of your manuscript
(International reply coupons, please, for those writing from outside
Canada!) If no SASE is provided, your manuscript will be not be
returned.

Please do not send us single poems intended for broadsides. When we
intend to publish broadsides, we will make a submission call on the
site. Any questions can be addressed to [log in to unmask]

Subscriptions
Rather than ordering all of our titles individually, consider
subscribing to Rubicon Press for only $35.00/year (including shipping
costs*). This means that all of our UNSIGNED chapbooks and broadsides
(at least four chapbooks and a minimum of two broadsides) for the year
of subscription will be delivered to your door shortly after their
release, in mint condition and hot off the press! Simply send us a note
at the address on the bottom of the page, letting us know that you
would like to subscribe, and include your shipping address and a cheque
for $35.00* made out to Rubicon Press. We will acknowledge receipt of
your cheque. Now all you have to do is sit back, relax, and wait for
the goodies to start arriving in the post.

*International orders, please include an extra $5 to cover
international shipping costs, for a total of $40.00 Canadian per
subscription. Those ordering from outside Canada must use International
Money Orders – no cash, please!

Signed and Numbered Limited-Edition Subscriptions
Our signed and numbered limited editions are really something special.
They are a fantastic and inexpensive way of adding a number of unique
collections to your personal library. As they will all arrive in mint
condition, the limited-edition chapbooks and broadsides are worthy of
becoming collectors’ items.

For those wishing to receive a subscription consisting entirely of
signed and numbered limited-edition chapbooks and broadsides, please
contact the press by e-mail at [log in to unmask] and we will send
you a price quote. Mention “Limited Editions Subscription” in the title
of your e-mail.

Rubicon Press
  Suite 304, 10750-78 Avenue
  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6E 1P7

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest book: Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664

Historical imagination gathers in the missing

			Susan Howe