To the best of my memory, there is a list of "suffragans" in the back of Eubel's Hierarchia vol. 3.

I have run into a few such cases for Germany in the 15th century.  Cologne had two between 1434 & 1452.  One was titular bishop of a see in Armenia.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Research Services Librarian
 and Gifts-in-Kind Officer
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/05/06 7:44 AM >>>

It's a reasonable guess that your Irish bishop (he may well not have been an
Irishman himself, just the receipient of an income or theowner of a title
from a see there) was permanently employed by Lacy as his suffragan.

The arrangement was very common and by the end of the middle ages many,
perhaps even most English bishops had permanent suffragans.

EG From memory by the c15 the bishop of Lincoln had two as well as a Vicar
General - the suffragans oversaw 'routine' spiritual workand the VG
'routine' administrative. During the period in the late c15 when the see of
Worcester was held by three successive Italians (none of whom, as far as I
know, ever visited the see) Worcester was administered throughout by
suffragans who would hvae held bishoprics elsewhere, with little discernible
negative impact on the see itself.

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, or repeating others' material -
I have a better- than-usual excuse, being currently in China within a few
hundred yards from the North Korean border with a very slow connection and
no ready source of information on medieval western religion!... apart from
that in my head...

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]