medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Jumping in a little late here, sorry, but I have just reached a point in my own work where I could use some advice from the collective wisdom and experience of the list members.

I am (as some of you know) working with a collection of 17th century sacred music. One of the pieces sets a text in honor of St Anthony. I have been unable to find  correlations between this text and any standard liturgical or paraliturgical source materials available to me. Could people please take a look at this text and if there are any connections between it and any (pre-1650) materials,  (even any not commonly associated with St Anthony) could point me to those?

As usual, an enourmous THANK YOU to the list.

Text and rough translation follows: (all spelling is from the source, repetitions have been eliminated. Any comments on the Latin or the translation would also be appreciated)

Iubilemus exultemus
diem festum celebremus
in honorem Sancti Antoni.
let us rejoice let us be glad / let us celebrate the feast day / in honor of Saint Anthony

Cantate pueri reviviscentes
psallite socii celo [caelo?] studentes
canite Virgine [virgines?] Christo nubentes
iubilate milites fidem tuentes
sing children brought back to life / sing psalms students eager for heaven /sing Virgin spouses of Christ / sing warriors defenders of the faith

A patre luminem
Divus Antonius
qui pater omnibus
diva sequentibus
fulget miraculis
from the father of light / Holy Anthony / the father of all / who seek holiness / is bright with miracles

Date voces organa
citharizate citare
in voce tubae corneae
omnes gentes modulamini
Antonium deprecamini
dum festum eius agitis
give voice to  the orgen / play the lyre / with the sound of the trumpet made of horn / all people sing / invoke Anthony / while celebrating his feast day

Cantate pueri reviviscentes
psallite socii celo [caelo?] studentes
canite Virgine [virgines?] Christo nubentes
iubilate milites fidem tuentes

Iubilemus exultemus
diem festum celebremus
in honorem Sancti Antoni.
Alleluia.

Andrew T. Kosciesza
PhD Musicology candidate Rutgers University

Assistant Professor of Music
Montgomery County Community College

Revd Gordon Plumb wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

Antony of Padua is usually shown with a book and lily with the infant ~Jesus seated on the book. This is probably a reference to his fame as a preacher (presumably of Christ). He is venerated as the finder of lost objects, possibly (according to the Oxford Dictionary of Saints) because a novice sho borrowed his psalter without permission was obliged to return it because of a fearful apparition. Let those who borrow books and do not return them beware!

Gordon Plumb