[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Checking Powicke's "Handbook of British Chronology," I see that John
> Heyne, OFM was a suffragan bishop of London from 1443-48.  Wouldn't
> that be why Lacy wrote to him?  The Handbook's account of Irish
> bishops points out that because of both the poverty of many Irish
> dioceses, the confusion over which sees were redundant, and the
> sometimes multiple claimants to the the same see, there was a steady
> supply of absentee Irish bishops "content to earn their living as
> suffragan bishops in any of the wealthier English dioceses."  Heyne
> may have been in that boat: he was provided to Clonfert twice, in
> 1438 and again in 1441.

I wouldn't mind betting that Lacy was residing in London at the time, knew
Heyne, knew that he was now unemployed, and was himself unwilling to trek
back to Exeter.

The suffragan Bishop of Horsham is an Australian.  One of the canons joked
that things were even worse than in the Middle Ages, when they only used
out-of-work Irish suffragan bishops...

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]