Paul Cooper wrote:

> While I would agree with many criticisms of the OS, I am afraid I can't
> agree with the "innovatorily stagnant" one! The OS is pretty much in the
> forefront of providers of geographic information; has developed the
> Digital National Framework and from a data point of view is one of the
> leaders in the field. Their adoption and promotion of the "TOID" system is
> clearly a move forward in data management, and while it has problems, it
> is probably the way forward. However, most of this doesn't appear in
> published maps -

- and THAT is the nub of the problem. I agree completely with the quality
of the database: but the sad fact is that the ordinary man and woman in
the street - whose taxes finance an accountancy device called NIMSA which
converts a 10 per cent shortfall in OS's operations into an apparent
operating profit - has to rough it with 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 maps mostly
drawn at least 25 years ago, with no flexibility of output, and an insult
to anyone of sensibility masquerading as a 1:100,000! OS must be glad that
the Ramblers Association  and Cyclists Touring Club are so busy with
rights-of-way and traffic law issues that they don't have time to decry
this state of things!

I would be less indignant were it not that repeated promises of a new
generation of small-scale maps generated from the Landline/Mastermap data
have so far come to nothing.

Richard Oliver
(Away for rest of the week)