Denise,

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Francis, we have some photocopied
OS and tithe maps on open access in our reading room and it is a major
job for staff to keep these in order and undamaged.  If you are going to
do this with original material you will have to face damage to, and loss
of, material which is expensive to replace or in the case of older items
no longer available. Even staff need to be trained to handle maps
properly and to remove them from the drawers without tearing them.

There is also the question of staff expertise in helping people find the
right material. Reference interviews and staff expertise are vital in
map librarianship and people forget this at their peril.

When  I was a geography student at Nottingham our departmental map
collection was help-yourself and as a result it was very difficult to
find anything, even when the maps were in the right order in the
drawers; in the end most people gave up and didn't bother using it.

This might seem to be the easier & cheaper option but in the long-run
you will have a collection which is disordered, damaged and incomplete.
Once this happens your users will become frustrated because they can't
find what they want and simply cease to use it.

Huw

--
Huw Thomas FRGS
Pennaeth Uned Defnyddiau Di-destun / Head of Non-Text Materials Unit

Ffon / Tel:   +44-1970-632990 (Direct line)
ebost / email: [log in to unmask]
Y We / WWW: http://www.llgc.org.uk

Nid yw'r neges hon o angenrheidrwydd yn adlewyrchu barn LlGC
This message does not necessarily reflect the opinion of NLW