Ricky, Les

This is the question I asked RAE Team on 1st June :

Could you please advise how superscripting/subscripting and other
formatting options that are required for mathematical, chemical, biological
terms and formulae should be dealt with in the submission.
I am particularly thinking of publication titles.

We could use a plain text version with all formatting stripped out ... but
this is obviously not what the academics want !

If so, will the report or interface that the panel members use render this
data correctly ?

I understand that there are a limited set of unicode superscript and
subscript characters but I don't think this covers all possibilities ..

For example

High Field Study of Normal State Magneto-transport in

where 6+d is subscripted.
I can't find a UTF-8 encoding for subscript 'd'

and the reply I received on the 2nd June from Jennifer Crook :

text formatting is allowed in certain places in the submission data which
includes the research output title in RA2 (the other areas are forms RA5).
You will be able to embed XHTML formatting tags and these will be rendered
correctly to panels. This should help you with mathematical formulae, etc.
The set of tags you may use will be specified in the RAE 2008 data
collection system documentation.

Hope this helps

Anna

At 18:09 31/05/2006, rrankin wrote:
>Les,
>
>Thanks
>
>Yes it is how to encode mathematical expressions, chemical formula that
>might be included in a Title or abstract.
>
>However, I was hoping for some type of editor that would allow these to be
>keyed in as I am not sure as to how html aware are users are
>
>Ricky
>

>__________________
>Ricky Rankin
>Principal Analyst
>Information Services
>Queen's University Belfast
>
>Tel: 02890 974824
>Fax: 02890 976586
>email: [log in to unmask]

Anna Clements (Mrs)                              01334

Project Facilitator/Manager
Business Improvements
University of St Andrews