To further add to the confusion, there are many examples of well-known  'thrust' faults which, at least locally, dip in the direction of transport of the hangingwall.  This occurs at the leading edge of many tectonic windows, and at the trailing edge of many klippen.  Typically these are thrusts that have been subsequently folded or tilted, but by strict, outcrop-based criteria that we teach they 'should' be described as normal faults.  Nonetheless, the tacit assumption that it's either the regional dip or the pre-folding geometry that needs to be taken into account and we call them thrusts.  These subtleties are a challenge to convey to students who are just being introduced to the terms.

John Waldron