Hello all

I believe the term transform fault concept was
introduced by J.Tuzo Wilson: 1965, A new class of
faults and their bearing on continental drift, Nature, v. 207, p. 343-347.

The original concept was that a plate boundary
was "transformed" from divergent (or convergent)
to strike-slip motion at a point called a
'transform".  Hence a "transform fault" was a
fault linking two transforms.  This sense, and
the original meaning of "transform" to refer to a
point, was progressively lost as "transform
fault" became abbreviated to just "transform".

The Pengiun Dictionary definition seems to be
referring to the original concept of 'transforms'
when it talks about the "ends of constructive and destructive plate margins".

Although Wilson's work was mainly on mid-ocean
ridge systems, it's pretty clear that the intent
was to define a transform fault as any
strike-slip fault that is also what we would now
call a plate boundary.  Hence faults like the San
Andreas that cut portions of continental lithosphere are definitely included.

This is the sense in which the term is used in
most in most subsequent undergraduate books on
plate tectonics (e.g. Cox & Hart: Plate Tectonics
How It Works 1986) and in most introductory textbooks too.

John Waldron

At 07:43 AM 2006/6/9, you wrote:
>Googling 'Transform Fault' gives all sorts of confusing definitions
>for the term — and Philip Kearey's 1996 'New Penguin Dictionary of
>Geology' gives the following:
>"transform fault: A special form of strike-slip fault which joins the
>ends of constructive and destructive plate margins." What on earth is
>a student to make of that?

John Waldron, Department of Earth & Atmospheric
Sciences, 1-26 Earth Sciences Building,
University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB Canada T6G 2E3
Tel: 780-492-3892. Fax: 780-492-3892. [log in to unmask]
University spam filters may reject some sources
of mail.  If this happens, try me at [log in to unmask]