Agree Bill.

We ask people to first describe their (or an) ethical framework for
decision making. Hopefully we get to something like this:-

First do no harm (Safety) - well done Hippocrates, but what next?
Try and do good - efficacy and effectiveness
Justice / Equity - most health care practioners and especially students
have an inner drive for fairness, and it's entirely legitimate therefore
to consider benefits:cost from a population perspective as well as the
health care needs of individuals (I know we all know this)
Patient autonomy (it's called assualting patients if you don't ask the
patient and respect their wishes).

So what sort of evidence would you expect people to use to populate
these four ethical domains and then weight them up when decision making?

Obviously we could just do what others told us or what we've always done
or what we intuitively believe. But PATIENTS Have the right to expect us
to use the best evidence that's available to help them etc etc a le
Bill. We are here to serve our patients and we therefore need to strive
to avoid falling into the traps of the cognitive biases e.g. of
believing what we see, or have done before and think works, or what
others tell us, or indeed of basing our practice on pathophysiological
mechanisms where better evidence exists.  Further we must resist the
attempts of those who would seek to exploit our cognitive biases (human
frailty) - bearing in mind that we all suffer from biases induced by our
own values.

Then it gets tricky. What approaches can be used to make decisions
(weigh up the values of the four domains)? This is in my experience best
debated over a very good dinner (with a decent bottle of wine for those
who wish!)

Best wishes

Neal
Neal Maskrey. Medical Director, National Prescribing Centre, 70 Pembroke
Place, Liverpool L69 3GF. Tel: 0151 794 8135. e-mail: