1) I would definitely agree w/ Amit that Guyatt,
Sackett, Ebell, Slawson and a few others over the past
15 years have been groundbreakers in leading us to
think about how we think about evidence. My earlier
post was intentionally simplistic - just putting out
the VERY basic version of how I describe EBM to
students - but not intended to overlook the major
advances in thinking about critical appraisal we've
seen in the past decade or so.

2) Also agree that, as with many things, the promise
some perceived that EBM would "answer all our
problems" (if that promise was ever there) was
overstated. It's one thing to know we need evidence,
it's entirely different to a) FIND the evidence, and
b) APPLY it.

3) Part of the reason I DO like to describe evidnece
as everything from individual, unsystematic
observations all the way up to systematic
meta-analyse, however, is that I think it gives us
(and learners, in particular) spectrum on which to
place all the clinical thinking we do that is NOT
informed by high-quality RCTs, meta-analyses, etc.
That is, since we know that there is a paucity of
high-quality evidence to answer clinical questions,
and since we also see in all our colleagues the
aplication of clinical experience, I think it is
useful to have a spectrum on which we can organize our
thinking about how all sorts of levels of quality of
evidence fit together.

4) Another helpful article by Ebell (again, use this a
lot w/ students) is an editorial that addresses some
of the recent changes in medical thinking that have
come out of increasing EBM scrutinty (eg, Vitamin E,
COX2s, HRT) - see
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050601/editorials.html

Enjoying the discussion!

Bill C

--- "Ghosh, Amit K.   M.D." <[log in to unmask]>