Hi Andrea ...
yes I agree with a lot of what you say, but at the same time the 'disabled
people as curios' (ref Colin Barnes) keeps leaping to the fore.  This is a
reply I sent to someone on  this list back in January on a similar subject  :-

Yes - I agree that the subject of 'disabled sexuality' needs to be
investigated - sensitively - for the benefit of those it affects - but  the
attached
article by Bev Burkitt illustrates graphically the  curiosity felt by
non-disabled 'others' about how we 'do it'!   Bev also points out the need
for a better
understanding of the issues,  but is a Channel4 TV programme the way  to go??
Cheers
Jenny
__http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies/archiveuk/archframe.htm__
(http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies/archiveuk/archframe.htm_)
(_http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies/archiveuk/archframe.htm_
(http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies/archiveuk/archframe.htm) )

although I just tried the link and couldn't make it work.
Again - the above was relating to a C4 programme, but is a porn show any
better?
If someone wants to participate in a porn movie then OK yes, and if the  fact
that they are disabled gains them some publicity then that is also a choice
thing - but in all honesty would you show the disabled people  who you work
with this porn movie as a sex education example?  I think not.
Sex education can be a necessity for many people, not 'just' disabled
people, but to endorse a woman being involved in porn, and further a disabled  woman
being involved, is not the sort of example I would like to use for  anybody,
disabled or otherwise.
This harks back somehow to the 'freak show' of old time circuses - not sex
education, or even a good example .....
all best
Jenny

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: