From: Sue McPherson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 June 2006 15:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] On the subject of conferences... and other stuff

Wendy,

I cannot see that submitting something for your conference, on something that interests or concerns me, even if that submission is accepted and I present it, is going to make any difference to me or people like me, unless my submission is in connection with another's.  What matters, when doing an academic dgree, working in the community, or presenting a paper, is like-minded people who will pay attention to it and act on it. In other words, it's the relationships we form.

Once a person is marginalized, as I have been since arriving in this country ten years ago, it's difficult to get out of that and be a part of what's going on once again.  I may be considered to be non -academic, because I have no university affiliation in any way, including no longer being a student having been pushed out of the PhD research program at Essex University, and I cannot be considered a "professional", as I have not even worked for pay since not having my contract renewed at Essex (while a student) even though another student with no training in the subject was rehired!  Oh, to have have had those relationships! Or should I really be fighting for women's right to teach, work, etc, without having to have them!

Sue McPherson