In article <[log in to unmask]>, James
Cummings <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Roger Pearse wrote:
>> In article <[log in to unmask]>, James
>> Cummings <[log in to unmask]> writes
>>
>>>However, I don't think that the libraries would agree that they are
not losing
>>>any money.
>> I was quoted 8,000 GBP for the British Library to photograph 3
>> manuscripts....
>
>Making them free, available and easily
>accessed by scholars is not in the libraries best (financial) interests.

Agreed.  But we need to get past this short-sighted selfishness.  I
suggest that we keep bombarding them with requests to photograph.

>There are some good ideas here, but without a leading institution
>(like the British Library) doing something like this, I think it would
>be unusual to find other libraries doing this.    An example of an
>early attempt to make images available can be seen at
>http://image.ox.ac.uk/ (The images now aren't of the hi-res that
>people now expect, nor of consistent quality.)  But the money doesn't
>exist to continue it.

Nor will it ever.  We need reader photography, and that means lobbying
libraries and their boards.

"Have you pestered your local library chairman today?"  <smile>

All the best,

Roger Pearse
The Tertullian Project (tertullian.org)
Additional Fathers online in English (tertullian.org/fathers)
QuickLatin (quicklatin.com)
Promoting interest in Tertullian studies <><