  From: Walker - Ted
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 10:37 AM
  Subject: [VLES] LEA Advises against Moodle!!??

  We are a 14-19 Community College and have adopted Moodle as a whole school VLE and are working hard to embed it across the college, with some success and interest so far.

  The Local Education Authority has just sent out a letter to school principals and heads discussing how schools should prepare for having a learning platform embedded by 2008; the jist is essentially to wait and see what they think might be best (as they haven't yet made up their minds) but, in any case, they explicitly advise schools not to use Moodle (the only software mentioned in the letter) as it depends too much on specific local support and knowledge. I think they are concerned about the possibility of schools sharing resources, and that, in their minds, "non standard software" won't network very well.

  I thought colleagues might be interested in this development, and would appreciate any comments. We are considering what, if any, response to make to this ourselves.

  Ted Walker

  Assistant Principal (Director of e-learning)

  Rawlins Community College

  Quorn

  Loughborough

  Leicestershire