Re: [VLES] LEA Advises against Moodle!!??
The conversation has perhaps gone full circle.  Proprietary VLEs may not historically have permitted the sharing of content across institutions (without perhaps purchasing the Enterprise version) thus perhaps a culture of not sharing has evolved - hence an advantage of open source....

Lynn Whitmore
01245 424200 x 26039

From: Virtual Learning Environments on behalf of James Clay
Sent: Wed 17/05/2006 3:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VLES] LEA Advises against Moodle!!??

Would be nice...

However colleges in the same geographical area rarely if ever collaborate on
these kinds of things, so with many more schools

Too often the advantages of collaboration and single joint solutions are
ignored in favour of the advantages of  remaining in *control* of your own
systems.

How many colleges now share their VLE with local schools?

How many Universities share their VLE with local colleges?

Moodle 1.7's collaborative features is certainly an interesting perspective,
the concept of Open Content is not new, http://oci.open.ac.uk/related.html
and there are some big names working on open content (BBC, Open University)
and spending large amounts of money, there are many barriers to
collaboration and sharing of content that need to be overcome.

One thing I would say, when it comes to sharing VLEs and or content, what
technology you use should be at the bottom of the list when it comes to
listing the important things that need to be in place to make this happen.

James Clay
Director Western Colleges Consortium
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.westerncc.ac.uk

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: For all requests for information which may come under the Freedom of Information Act please contact the Freedom of Information Act officer at [log in to unmask].

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

Please also note that unless stated explicitly, this information is not necessarily the view or policy of Writtle College, and it does not form any kind of contract.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses by MIMEsweeper (www.clearswift.com).