But Moodle is free....

;-)

The running costs of any hub have to be met by the members and there is more
to running a hub then the cost of the software.

The WCC is a model of a regional hub, with at one time seven colleges
sharing a single VLE and sharing joint content, sharing development and
operational costs and then some...

There were a lot of benefits, both educational and financial for working
together.

However a single shared VLE has its disadvantages in terms of intergrating
colleges systems which is why it has a limited life span unless you decide
as a consortium to integrate all your systems.

James Clay