Dear SCARF users,

As a result of yesterday's maintenance, I am pleased to be able to say that we now have a large amount (multiple terabytes) of additional /work storage available. As discussed in the user workshop, this space is not backed up, but still offers a good level of reliability due to being stored in RAID 5 sets on the file servers.

Any groups who would like to have access to this storage are invited to contact the helpdesk.

In addition, as was also discussed in the workshop, it is now becoming necessary to look towards enforcing strict quotas on user filespace. Starting on Wednesday 17th May, each user will have a soft limit of 20GB and a hard limit of 30GB on their home directories. Should the hard limit be exceeded, users will be able to log in, but will then find themselves unable to do any work.

As a result, all users are advised to check the amount of disk space that they are currently using, and either reduce it or request a /work directory and put excess data there.

Best wishes,

Duncan