	-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan
Mansfield
	Sent: 24 May 2006 12:32
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: How do you illustrate the voulume of digitally
borne documents in a physical form ?

	Barbara,

	I use the following information from University of Berkeley's
report "How Much Information? 2003" to help people visualise their
documents and records. In a similar question I posed to the list I was
also referred to http://www.archivebuilders.com/. I have also, in the
past worked, on the basis One filing cabinet = 10,000 pages or 1GB = 2
filing cabinets although I can no longer recall where I got that from.

	Regards,

	Susan

	Susan Mansfield
	Records Manager
	Strategy Directorate
	Scottish Enterprise
	150 Broomielaw
	5 Atlantic Quay
	Glasgow
	G2 8LU
	Direct Line: 0141 228 2468
	Fax 0141221 3217
	E-mail: [log in to unmask]

	How big is five exabytes? If digitized, the nineteen million
books and other print collections in the

	Library of Congress would contain about ten terabytes of
information; five exabytes of information is

	equivalent in size to the information contained in half a
million new libraries the size of the Library of

	Congress print collections.

	It would take about 30 feet of books to store the equivalent of
800 MB of information on paper.

	Table 1.1: How Big is an Exabyte?

	Kilobyte (KB)

	1,000 bytes OR 103bytes

	2 Kilobytes: A Typewritten page (we often calculate this as
reams of paper and work out how far down e.g. Church Street it would
stretch using the Gmap pedometer http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
<http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/> )

	100 Kilobytes: A low-resolution photograph.

	Megabyte (MB)

	1,000,000 bytes OR 106 bytes

	1 Megabyte: A small novel OR a 3.5 inch floppy disk.

	2 Megabytes: A high-resolution photograph.

	5 Megabytes: The complete works of Shakespeare. (we use the
latest Harry Potter novel as a comparison!)

	10 Megabytes: A minute of high-fidelity sound.

	100 Megabytes: 1 meter of shelved books.

	500 Megabytes: A CD-ROM.

	Gigabyte (GB)

	1,000,000,000 bytes OR 109 bytes

	1 Gigabyte: a pickup truck filled with books.

	20 Gigabytes: A good collection of the works of Beethoven.

	100 Gigabytes: A library floor of academic journals.

	Terabyte (TB)

	1,000,000,000,000 bytes OR 1012 bytes

	1 Terabyte: 50000 trees made into paper and printed.

	2 Terabytes: An academic research library.

	10 Terabytes: The print collections of the U.S. Library of
Congress

	400 Terabytes: National Climactic Data Center (NOAA) database.

	Petabyte (PB)

	1,000,000,000,000,000 bytes OR 1015 bytes

	1 Petabyte: 3 years of EOS data (2001).

	2 Petabytes: All U.S. academic research libraries.

	20 Petabytes: Production of hard-disk drives in 1995.

	200 Petabytes: All printed material.

	Exabyte (EB)

	1,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes OR 1018 bytes

	2 Exabytes: Total volume of information generated in 1999.

	5 Exabytes: All words ever spoken by human beings.

	Source: Many of these examples were taken from Roy Williams
"Data Powers of Ten" web page at Caltech.

	A tree can produce about 80,500 sheets of paper,