 -- Apologies for cross posting --

Dear colleagues

I'd be very grateful for any advice you may be able to offer on choosing or
developing electronic catalogues for archived material and business records.
The Arts Council has 'catalogued' some of its archived material, but this
has not been done to any recognisable standards and entries have been
recorded in an Excel spreadsheet.  Due to forthcoming office moves and
restructuring, there is an opportunity now to persuade senior management
that we need to have an appropriate catalogue system to store information
about this material.  There is concern that this will need to be done very
quickly in order to capitalise on our small window of opportunity, and we
may end up with a standard library system that is cheap and off the shelf
and perhaps not suitable for archival material, or will not allow us to
develop the collection in the future, such as through retrospective
cataloguing and digitising some of the material and making it freely
available through a web based system.  We do not currently have an EDRMS in
place, and it doesn't look as though that is likely to happen in the
foreseeable future.  It would of course be useful to have a system that can
cope with both types of material.

It would be really useful to know:

*	what systems you use to create catalogue entries about your
records/archives?
*	are there any particular systems you'd recommend - or avoid?
*	has anyone gone through a similar process, and do they have any
useful advice?

Many thanks - Jennifer

Jennifer Perkins
Archives Project Manager
Arts Council England
Direct line +44 (0)20 7973 6549
Mobile +44 (0)7786 540685
Fax +44 (0)20 7973 6411
Email [log in to unmask]

www.artscouncil.org.uk

2006 marks the 60th anniversary of the Arts Council's royal charter. Public arts funding over 60 years
has made a huge difference to England's people and places - imagine the country without the arts. Go
to our website to find out more www.artscouncil.org.uk/sixty

www.artscouncil.org.uk

Arts Council England is the trading name of the Arts Council of England registered charity no. 1036733.

The information in this e-mail is for the named recipient(s) only. Any disclosure, copying or distribution
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any opinions/advice expressed are subject to our terms of business.
We do not accept liability for any virus introduced by this e-mail.