From "Dionysia:"

It's the warm surprise of spring
    gives me that tragic feeling
that makes me wipe my life right off my face
  to bare my naked mask
  in the hills the hills where the pines
      astonish the cool and dizzy air
        fox tracks in the late snow
      who would not dance in this dark brush
      where the hare leaps by the icy stream
  who would not laugh with the wind
      where the berries burgeon bright as blood?

        In the high hills where we first saw
        his quick step as he frisked there
        and your smile was my smile
  while we laughed in each other's voice
        and we all danced in the young strength
  of his joy the pines the pines
        as he skipped and pranced in the song that he was,
leading the playful chase along the ridge

  It's the glance that means forever
    under the stricken sky
sends your torrential blood right through my heart
  to flower in my breath
  in the hills, where the lingering chill
      softly stings the stiffening buds
        the hawk screams in the far crag
      dark stream throbbing purple brown
      under the earth shatters the sun
  and warps the sorrowing clouds
      while the mountain sways to the wrathful song

        and he stopped short in the stern light
        and his last strength made a blind leap
        but cut off by the close hunt
  he collapsed, and had nothing left
        but to beg life with a mute cry
  the pines the pines are stunned
        Terror had taken his voice. His gaze
pleaded and broke. He knew that trouble was near.

   The huge crest loomed above us, and when that roaring surge
   broached its breathless peak and blossomed into silence,
   we looked into our eyes, and the fusion rippled the circling dance
   to avalanche that bound suspended power from every heart: ...

--

   Jon Corelis     www.geocities.com/jgcorelis/