I've been reading through the Kierkegaard volumes from Princeton, in order
to catch up on all his books so I can read the letters and notes as they
emerge in 12 projected volumes, and I haven't been so entertained since
first reading Kafka or Bernhard. A healthy dose of disgust and the sincere
prayer which takes this form:

"Just as, according to the legend Parmeniscus in the Trophonian cave lost
his ability to laugh, but recovered it again on the island of Delos at the
sight of a shapeless block which was exhibited as the image of the goddess
Leto: likewise did it happen to me. When I was very young I forgot in the
Trophonian cave how to laugh; but when I grew older and opened my eyes and
contemplated the real world, I had to laugh, and have not ceased laughing,
ever since. I beheld that the meaning of life was to make a living; its
goal, to become Chief Justice; that the delights of love consisted in
marrying a woman with ample means; that it was the blessedness of friendship
to help one another in financial difficulties; that wisdom was what most
people supposed it to be; that it showed enthusiasm to make a speech, and
courage, to risk being fined 10 gold pieces; that it was cordiality to say
"may it agree, with you" after a repast; that it showed piety to partake of
the communion once a year. saw that and laughed.

A strange thing happened to me in my dream. I was rapt into the Seventh
Heaven. There sat all the gods assembled. As a special dispensation I was
granted the favor to have one wish. "Do you wish for youth," said Mercury,
"or for beauty, or power, or a long life; or do you wish for the most
beautiful woman, or any other of the many fine things we have in our
treasure trove? Choose, but only one thing!" For a moment I was at a loss.
Then I addressed the gods in this wise: "Most honorable contemporaries, I
choose one thing—that I may always have the laughs on MY side." Not one god
made answer, but all began to laugh. From this I concluded that my wish had
been granted and thought that the gods knew how to express themselves with
good taste: for it would surely have been inappropriate to answer gravely:
your wish has been granted."