I haven't sent a snap in a long time. Now that school is over, I'm hoping I
can be part of the conversation again too. Anyway, here 'tis. My most recent
poem, completed today:

Your Gaze

The marvel is what touch can do: I walked
the streets of where I live last night, the dog
pulling hard towards smells that are a fog
of nothingness to me, my body soaked
in how you gathered up and kissed and sucked
my flesh, and each sensation was a flag
waving colors through me till that rainbow's tug
lifted me once more above the cracked
and mildew-stained walls that are these days
all too often what I cannot see beyond,
but you were not there to rise to. Still, as I rose,
what came to me was how your eyes were mouths
drinking in what poured from me, and the wind-
I could taste myself again on your lips!-was your breath.

Richard Jeffrey Newman
Associate Professor, English
Nassau Community College
One Education Drive