From: "Lawrence Upton" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: abusive list behaviour

Mr Bircumshaw may have nothing more to say; but I - the target for his
bile - shall now speak.

If he tried this in a slum he'd get kicked. I know. I grew up in one, but I
don't try to special plea on the back of it

He has today, amongst other things, without provocation or apparent stimulus
asserted I want to be a gatekeeper, a managerial controller, a massager of
who's in who's out (of poetry), of disengenuosness and hypocrisy

and has distorted completely what I said played the _I come from a slum and
everyone's against me nonsense_

and has pretended that I started the attack

It would be one thing if he had offered any justification for these remarks,
but he just side stepped that invitation.

He is entitled to think what he wants of my poetry and I know that he has
the ability to argue his case when there is a case and he can bothered.

As to the distortion of what I said, I am content to let people judge as he
published the originals that he was distorting.

But there remains the assertion of control and hypocrisy and, I thought at
one point, corruption, implying he knows things that have not been aired
here. These are calumnies and it is not good enough to shrug, not when the
tone is one of _I am right_; because he is not right; he is making it up

I want an apology because if I do not get one it is more likely it will
start again, as it has before. He has himself published here the evidence of
that which I chose to keep private for his benefit. I want an apology or a
sustainable justification, not what seems to him or what is claimed to have
been heard. What gates do I keep? Whom do I control? What actions or words
of mine are hypocritical? Whose name do I massage?

I have no such power. If he believes he has evidence that I am being
disengenuous, one of his charges, let him give it or retract the charge.

I want that apology because I take this matter very seriously and find his
inexplicable malice upsetting. I don't like being bullied and that is what
is being attempted.