Mrs Petrov's Shoe

Mrs Petrov's Shoe by Noelle Janaczewska, directed by Chris Bendall.
Theatre@Risk at 45 Downstairs until May 21.

From the moment Ania bounces on stage in blonde pigtails and Polish national
dress, fulsomely accepting a major literary award for her autobiographical
novel about her immigrant background, the image of Helen Demidenko is
impossible to shake.

The Demidenko affair was colourful even by the high standards of Australian
literary scandals. In 1995, Helen Darville, daughter of Grace and Harry
Darville of Scunthorpe, England, scooped a bag of literary prizes (including
Australia's most prestigious, the Miles Franklin) with The Hand that Signed
the Paper, a novel purporting to be by Helen Demidenko, the daughter of an
illiterate Ukrainian taxi driver from Cairns, and trading heavily on its
autobiographical authenticity.

Ms Demidenko - a camera-friendly young woman with startlingly blonde,
waist-length hair - appeared on television in Ukrainian national dress and
even performed Ukrainian dances, and spoke movingly of how "my father who
can read and write neither English nor Ukrainian flew to Brisbane to see me
after I won a prize for writing-words. So my mother who left school at
twelve to work as a domestic, read her first book..." The media loved it.
They loved it even more when her persona was exposed as a sham.

Read more at http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com

Also: more on the controversy about the pulling of Peter Handke's play from
the Comedie-Francaise.

All best

Alison

Alison Croggon