>but there are many such battlefields, not all gender-based....

Agreed - & history as violence is always intersecting other fields - I think
at least one of Greer's apparent directions in her arguments on poetry does
come parallel with specific expository writings by Howe, and by writers on
Howe -

>(a poet I admire the hell out of)

Me too - I go back to her books a lot - and it seems as i read, (I'm going
to try hard to get this close) that the rhetoric of her writing is both a
rhetoric of differing planes, each containing irrecusable shards &
irreconcilable discourses, but also that the work fluctuates so at any
reading moment, the continuously intersecting planes could also all reduce
to a single intensity, the sentence at hand...

Edmund