Dear all,

As you may already know, on Wednesday 17th May, Ofsted published a
report entitled "Evaluating mathematics provision for 14-19 year olds".
They found many lessons "lacked sufficient flair, imagination and
challenge to get the best from students" and that the lessons did not
allow pupils to develop their "ability to reason and discover solutions
for themselves".  You will be aware that NRICH focuses on encouraging
students to solve mathematical problems and to think 'outside the box'
so it is interesting to see this report advocating our philosophy.  As
you have signed up to receive this newsletter, you will no doubt share
our views, but if you do find the NRICH website a useful resource,
please spread the word!

You can read the full report on the Ofsted website at
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=pubs.summary&id=4207

Best wishes,
The NRICH Team

--