From: "Jim Bugslag" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] The Virgin Mary as a child - Curiouser and Curiouser !

> Thanks to a friend in Colombia, I received an article about the Niña Maria
> there. Seems it was a
> colonial Spanish statue of Our Lady of the Rosary (devotion brought by the
> Dominicans) and
> originally held baby Jesus and a rosary. In the late 1700s the Archbishop
> decided to take off
> baby Jesus and have Mary dressed and renamed as a young girl.

Whatever devotion there may have been to the young Virgin Mary, it seems
rather
remarkable that an archbishop would dump an image of the Christ Child to
accommodate it.  I suspect there is something more to this story.  For
example, at
that period, wooden statues of the Virgin and Child were often "mutilated",
by
separating the two figures, in order to aid in "dressing" them in the
elaborate
costumes that they had come to be dressed in for special liturgical feasts,
by that
time.  Perhaps, in this case, something happened to the Christ Child, and
the
remaining part, of the Virgin, was turned to other uses.  Where in Columbia
was this
statue?
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag