Dear Helen,
It occurs to me that one possible explanation is that
the first "lavatorium" refers to the point when the
priest washes his hands in the sacristy before he
vests for Mass, and that the prayers are placed there
as part of his preparation before going into church.
This would be an appropriate time, before a requiem
Mass, to concentrate his thoughts, and he would then
say the vesting prayers and enter church. Or do the
sources place the washing within the actual context
and framework of the Mass?
John Whitehead,
Oriel college,
Oxford

 --- Helen Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Various chaplainries and anniversaries endowed in St
> Giles', Edinburgh, in the late fifteenth and early
> sixteenth centuries include instructions that extra
> prayers for the dead (usually the De Profundis)
> should be added by the priest
> during the Mass, at the 'first _lavatorium_'.... I'd
> have thought that the lavabo was a more likely place
> to add in extra psalms, and
> sometimes additions are required at that point
> (referred to as the 'locio manuum'); but the
> reference to the _first_ lavatorium would seem to
> rule that  out, as the hands are not washed twice
>  while the vessels are. Can anyone
> confirm or correct my assumption?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]