-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan
Hoyle
Sent: 23 May 2006 11:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] sea horses

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

[log in to unmask] writes:
<<Further thoughts, kids abed, should be  doing something else. >>

Like the Rabbi said, life begins when the children leave home and the
dog is
dead...

<<It's very unusual for resident chaplains to be  called 'canons': in
fact I'
ve never come across it. Are you sure the  prebendaries (i.e. the
receivers
of prebends) were not the canons, which is  entirely normal, and the
resident
chaplains not effectively their vicars?  >>

These were exactly my expectations.  See my reply to your  first.
Here's the
transcription of what the Chantry Commissioners said  (Lawrence Snell,
/The
Chantry Certificates for Cornwall /(Documents towards a  history of the
Reformation in Cornwall, No 1) (Exeter, nd [1953?])):

[Chantry Certificate 15/89]:  ". The Deanery or Rectorye there  ffounded
by
kyng Adelstone to ffynde a Dean or a parson who is charged wythe  three
curattes to serve in three sev'all churches that is to say one to
mynystre  in the
churche of saynt Buryan w' is the mother churche & the other towe to
celebrate
in towe chappelles scituate wtin the paroche of saynt Buryan And being
distant from the paryshe churche three ev'ye one of them three myles
thereaboutes.
 To ffynde also three p'bendaryes to helpe to celebrate  dyvyne servyce
wythin the paryshe churche of saynt Buryan aforesayde w' Dean  & other
the sayd p'
bendaryes have for the mayntenance of their lyvings the  revenues of
certayne
landes appoynted out for ye purpose dyvyded amongst the'  equallye
accordyng
to theyr severall porcons."

[Certificate 9/4:  ". ffounded wtin the p'ishe Churche of Beryan  to the

Dean or Rector / of Beryan whyche hath the cure of ye p'ishe churche of
beryan &
of ij other p'ishe Churches being chappelles therunto appendaunt  And ys

charged wythe thre p'ishe churches."

The first certificate has  three parishes and the second just one--which

reflects the odd status of  those parishes.

<<It would be interesting to know if these chaplains had any  parochial
responsibilities (eg at St Levan): a dual responsibility for both
parish and
liturgy in the church itself crops up at some other former minster
collegiate
churches.  >>

They did, as far as I can see, at  least at times.  When things were
very
prosperous, it looks as though there  were chaplains appointed to do the
duties
at Buryan for the prebendaries, in  addition to the King's Clerk who
said
masses for AEthelstan, but at other times  (probably most of the time,
given the
complaints of neglect), the same men did  both parish duties and minster
duties,
if they did them at all.

<<Likewise to know more about the lands that made up these  prebends:
for
example, was St Levan on any particular prebend's land? If so,  would
'his'
chaplain (if the chaplains are indeed vicars for the prebends) have
played a
specific role there?>>

We'd all like to know about the land.  Nicholas Orme, inter alios,  has
studied it, and cannot say for sure.  The lands which supported the
Deanery until
1548 (and which were afterwards known as the Manor of Buryan and
alienated
from the church) were almost certainly those described in Domesday,
which in
turn seem to be the same as those in the AEthelstan charter
(unsurprisingly,
whether or not the charter is a forgery).  The problem is  that although
some of
them are still readily identifiable, quite a lot of it  could be
anywhere in
the Deanery.  Anglo-Saxon transliteration of early  mediaeval Cornish
can be
pretty impenetrable--not that I know either language,  but that's what
those
who do say, and I believe them...

But the consensus  is that most of the land was within what is now
Buryan
(the identifiable places  all are), and that although one of the
prebendaries was
'of Trethyn', which  seems to be Treen in St Levan, it isn't certain
that any
of his lands were  there.  I suspect they were, however.  There were
some odd
(for this  area) land-ownership patterns in Treen in 1838 which may hark
back
to  this.  Again it needs a lot more work.

Susan

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]