Dear colleagues,

Can anyone here help a PhD student researching the work of Peter
Maxwell Davies who has come to me with a question about the source of
a reference to Rilke?

In his comments on "Vesalii Icones", Davies writes:

I was also conscious of an image in a Rilke poem, where he mentions the
human soul as the strings of an extremely tight-stringed instrument
stretched to breaking point being played incessantly.

It has been suggested that he might have had this in mind from
"Liebeslied":

Doch alles, was uns anrührt, dich und mich,
nimmt uns zusammen wie ein Bogenstrich,
der aus zwei Saiten eine Stimme zieht.

but the image does not correspond very well.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Perhaps I should add that the student tells me that Davies' memory
sometimes plays tricks with him - he apparently once referred to the
coast of Normandy when he actually meant the River Arno - so, I
suppose, it need not necessarily be Rilke. George? Hofmannsthal?

Many thanks

Alan Deighton

Alan R Deighton
Email: [log in to unmask]