To Wilfred,

Does this definition help?

Noise becomes data when it has cognitive pattern that can be registered in
our minds

Data becomes information when you can assemble it into a coherent whole
which can be related to other information, to become ‘the difference that
makes the difference’

Information becomes knowledge when it is integrated with other useful
information in a form useful for making decisions and determining actions

Knowledge becomes understanding when it can be related to other knowledge in
a manner useful in conceiving, anticipating and judging

Understanding becomes wisdom when it is informed by ethics, principles,
spirituality, memory and imagination’

DEE W HOCK:  Founder and CEO Emeritus VISA USA and VISA International

Isn't wisdom the evaluative function of the brain? I agree with you that
some people have never developed the function, for whatever reason, often
due to childhood trauma (Remember transactional analysis - I'm OK - you're
OK?) and social conditioning. Sometimes even due to physical abnormalities
and mental illness. Others never develop it because they are just too lazy
to think. Thinking is hard work and most people avoid it.

But I still contend that, like any other skill, critical evaluative thinking
can be taught.I have taught it myself with results that have astounded me. I
agree with you too, that we either have it or we do not. That goes back to
the Christian parable of the Sower - the same seeds can fall on very
different types of ground and many never take root. Others may take root in
ways we could never have anticipated. 'The spirit blows where it will' - but
I don't think that is an argument for depriving people, especially children
in their most formative years, of the chance of receiving those seeds. If we
never scatter them we will never get a harvest. I think the key question
isn't 'should we?' but 'HOW do we? Judgement is very subjective and much
damage has been caused many times in the past by the teaching of evaluative
skills in ways that promote hidden agendas, good and bad. I suggest the
starting point should be, as others have suggested, to define what we mean
by success.

Best wishes

Cherryl