Dear Ian,

Thank you.  Talk is futile, as you imply, if it is on its own.  If
revolution is possible without violent force,  action must
be allied with reflection, of course.  Realization of wisdom must
surely begin and end with the method of "teaching" or learning. Most
(all?) academic institutions have as their first priority to preserve
themselves and therefore to protect the status quo. A revolutionary
change should involve a change in the mode of inquiry from emphasizing
instruction of knowledge and ideas to the emergence of wisdom from
experiential learning situations.  Such a change in emphasis places the
life experience of the learners at the centre of the learning
situation, and the task of the "teacher" becomes to find the means of
drawing out of all the individual learners, including himself/herself
the innate wisdom that is shared in real time. Such a revolutionary
change would require that teachers should withold what they know and
honour instead that which is brought to the learning situation by all
the learners through a process of participatory democratic
decision-making leading to action in the world, and certainly within
every area of the life of the institution itself. Such a process would
bring about continuous revolutionary change in the institution. Or is
this last a contradiction in terms? If institutions are to be involved
in the development of the wisely behaving society, then they must begin
by changing themselves. You can teach people about wisdom, or you can
help them discover it through action in an environment defined and
controlled by everyone.  Academics responsibility then becomes to lead
from the back.  Dangerous stuff!

Keith