As Bus St teachers we ought to be able to rise to this challenge.  It is, after all, a standard theme in management ie how to raise performance (in part defined by meeting customer need) whilst still keeping staff motivated.  I shall deliberately avoid the debate about whether or not it is helpful to describe students as 'customers' although I realise this is a key issue for many.  My own concern is not that issue but rather being the first (or indeed only) department to do this when the prevailing organisational culture in most schools is antique to say the least.  My previous experience is that students are very sensible about the exercise, but there is no guarantee of this.  It's part of the risk.  But criticism, however gently phrased, is inevitable.  What's the point of a QA audit if one doesn't want to know the bad news as well as the good?  Usually, in fact, more good comes out.  Students lack a forum to say positive things, especially boys for whom so much is uncool, and so such an exercise provides such an outlet.  Anonymity I leave to student choice; most don't use it.  But as Bus St teachers we should have the courage of our convictions.  In my experience Bus St teaching is, on balance, better than that of most other subjects.  Over the years I have been told a great many shortcomings of teachers of other subjects from which I infer that mine/ours isn't too bad.  And think of the beneficial modelling of the ups and downs of a business process that is often tricky.  What can students learn from an exercise that doesn't go as well as intended?

But, as I mentioned above, my own worry is how to move this idea forward without rattling the wider school cage.  I would welcome any thoughts on that subject.

Richard Bowett
********************* * TO LEAVE THE LIST * ********************* Write to [log in to unmask] and, in the text of your message (NOT the subject line), write: SIGNOFF ECON-BUSINESS-EDUCATORS